Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How safe is Singapore food now?

Recently, there have been news reports on food stalls and restaurants where people suffered diarrhoe after consuming the food there.

Well, I can't help but wonder what happened. First, let's see the food stalls in hawker centers. We have been brought up eating in hawker centers and find it such a bliss. But then came the news that there were people who died after eating the Geyland Serai Rojak. What's more shocking was that there were many rats found in that market. My goodness! When I read that there were 61 rats killed during the cleaning exercise the other day, one question popped up. Why? How come the place is so infested with rats? According to reports, the stall holders in the market had reported this before but nothing was done. Why is there a lapse? All fingers are pointing to the stall holders, urging them to clear and clean their stalls properly. But what about the company which was responsible to help the cleanliness in that area? Are they not to be blamed as well?

This brings me to another point. I find that Singapore is becoming quite dirty these days. It could be due to the fact that there are now more people living in Singapore now. But what makes me very sad to see is that rubbish/litters are not cleared on time or have been left for sometime. Well, in the area where I live, just at the bus stop alone, I can see litter being there for as long as I can remember. It seems to be that no one is cleaning that area at all. Maybe the company in charge of cleaning this estate only cleans the area that can be widely seen by all. But to those areas not so 'obvious', they may rather wait until something happens. Nowadays, my whole family is being visited by mosquitoes at different times of the day. This is worse at night. In fact, my sleep has been so disrupted that I wonder when this whole ordeal will end. I have tried to solve this problem by spraying infesticides but to no avail. Can something or someone do anything? I wonder. Before fingers are pointing at the people staying in Singapore, I think the company responsible for cleaning the area should do their part as well. Not all people throw litters on the floors that they step on. Some litters that are thrown into the rubbish bins are blown unto the floors by winds.

What seems more interesting is that since the report on the food poisioning, there may be more coming up to report that they have been having food poisioning after eating at certain food stalls or restaurants. Like the steamboat restaurant that was reported. I do not find this surprising though. You see, it is very easy to have stomach upset after eating steamboat. I remember once when I went to eat steamboat with my friends and one of them ate pig's intestines without fully cooking it. Guess what? Within minutes, he had to go to toilet to wash up the food that he had consumed. So cook fully before you eat.

What is written here is purely my opinion and observation. No one may agree with me. But I sure hope that Singapore can be a clean place to live in once again, both in food hygiene and its environment.

No comments: